Telephone: 0131 242 6162 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Room: C1.03
Please contact my NHS secretary regarding any personal clinical matters – I am afraid that cannot respond to these using my university email or by telephone.
Tel: 0131 242 6988
Tel: 0131 242 2525
- Pelvic pain and endometriosis www.exppectedinburgh.co.uk
- Ectopic pregnancy
Wellcome Trust (£237,55) 2015-2018 Clinical Research Training Fellowship [Campbell] AW Horne, N Gray
EME (£999,811) 2016-19 “GEM3: A multi-centre double-blind placebo-controlled randomised trial of a combination of methotrexate and gefitinib versus methotrexate alone as a treatment for ectopic pregnancy” AW Horne (CI), S Tong, WC Duncan, B Mol, S Bhattacharya, J Daniels, A Coomaraswamy, D Jurkovic, T Bourne, C Bottomley, A Peace-Gadsby (subject to contracts)
EME (£1,208,722) 2015-17 “GaPP2: A randomised controlled trial of the efficacy and mechanism of action of gabapentin for the management of chronic pelvic pain in women” AW Horne (CI), K Vincent, J Daniels, L Middleton, B Collett, G Macfarlane, Y Cheong, A Baranowski, A Williams, J Birch, S Bhattacharya
HTA (£1,962,989) 2015-19 “PRISM: Effectiveness of progesterone to prevent miscarriage in women with early pregnancy bleeding: A placebo-controlled randomised trial” A Coomaraswamy (CI), AW Horne, C Overton, C Bottomley, W Duncan, D Jurkovic,D Feroza, H Harb, J Daniels, J Norman, K Hinshaw, L Middleton, MA Lumsden, N Raine-Fenning, R Farquharson, R Bender-Atik, S Quenby, T Bourne, T Roberts
HTA (£2,487,834) 2013-18 “PRE-EMPT: Preventing Recurrence of Endometriosis by Means of long acting Protestogen Therapy” S Bhattacharya (CI), K Cooper, J Gupta, J Daniels, J Clark, E Denny, E Saridogan, L Middleton, G Jones, AW Horne, C Becker
Key recent publications
Young VJ, Ahmad SF, Brown JK, Duncan WC, Horne AW. Peritoneal VEGF-A expression is regulated by TGF-β1 through an ID1 pathway in women with endometriosis. Sci Rep 2015 5:16859.
Greaves E, Temp J, Esnal-Zufiurre A, Mechsner S, Horne AW, Saunders PT. Estradiol Is a Critical Mediator of Macrophage-Nerve Cross Talk in Peritoneal Endometriosis. Am J Pathol. 2015 pii: S0002-9440(15)00270-9.
Tong S, Skubisz MM, Horne AW. Molecular diagnostics and therapeutics for ectopic pregnancy. Mol Hum Reprod. 2015 21(2):126-35.
Greaves E, Grieve K, Horne AW, Saunders PT. Elevated peritoneal expression and estrogen regulation of nociceptive ion channels in endometriosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2014 jc20142282.
Young VJ, Brown JK, Maybin J, Saunders PT, Duncan WC, Horne AW. Transforming growth factor-β induced Warburg-like metabolic reprogramming may underpin the development of peritoneal endometriosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2014 jc20141026.
Young VJ, Brown JK, Saunders PT, Horne AW. The role of the peritoneum in the pathogenesis of endometriosis. Hum Reprod Update. 2013 19(5):558-69.
Nilsson UW, Johns TG, Wilmann T, Kaitu’u-Lino T, Whitehead C, Dimitriadis E, Menkhorst E, Saglam B, Gao Y, Greenall SA, Horne AW, Tong S. Effects of Gefinitb, an Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Inhibitor, on Human Placental Cell Growth. Obstet Gynecol 2013 122(4):745-51
Skubisz MM, Horne AW, Johns TG, Nilsson UW, Duncan WC, Wallace EM, Critchley HOD, Tong S. Combination Gefitinib and Methotrexate Compared with Methotrexate Alone to Treat Ectopic Pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2013 122(4):737-44
Reactions in the press:
- Dr Furquan Ahmad (post-doctoral scientist)
- Ms Ann Doust (clinical trial coordinator)
- Ms Helen Dewart (clinical research nurse)
- Ms Jennifer Devlin (clinical research nurse)
- Ms Lisa Starrs (clinical research nurse)
- Ms Nicola Watson (clinical research nurse)
- Ms Priscilla Fernandez (clinical research nurse)
- Dr Ibtisam Abokhrais (clinical research fellow and PhD student)
- Dr Lisa Campbell (clinical research fellow and PhD student)
- Dr Wojciech Szubert (clinical research fellow and MD student)
- Ms Sevasti Giakoumelou (PhD Student)
News: Pfizer-SRI President’s Presenter’s Award for Furquan Ahmad
Furquan Ahmad’s abstract “Is Lactate a Potential Therapeutic Target for Endometriosis?” has been selected for the Pfizer-SRI President’s Presenter’s Award. This award will be presented to Furquan (and Andrew Horne) at the 63rd Annual Scientific SRI Meeting, which will be held in Montreal, Canada March 16 – 19, 2016.
University of Edinburgh:
- Hilary Critchley (CRH)
- Colin Duncan (CRH)
- Philippa Saunders (CIR)
- Dr Erin Greaves (CRH)
- Sarah Howie (CIR)
- Gary Entrican (Moredun Research Institute)
- Siladitya Bhattacharya (Aberdeen University)
- Tom Bourne (Imperial College London)
- Katy Vincent (University of Oxford)
- Jane Daniels (University of Birmingham)
- Stephen Tong (University of Monash Melbourne)
- Chair of ESHRE Special Interest Group Endometriosis/Endometrium
- Lead of James Lind Alliance Priority Setting Partnership for Endometriosis
- Member of RCOG Scientific Advisory Committee
- Member of RCOG Scottish Committee
- Member of NICE Endometriosis Guideline Group
- Past member of the ESHRE Endometriosis Guideline Group
- Member of Wellbeing of Women Research Advisory Committee
- Trustee and Medical Advisor to the Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
- Medical Advisor to Endometriosis UK
- Medical Advisor to Pelvic Pain Support Network
- Associate Editor for Molecular Human Reproduction and PLoS One
- Member of RCOG Early Pregnancy Clinical Studies Group
- Member of the Blair Bell Committee
Che Bakri NA, Busby-Earle C, Steel R, Horne AW. ‘Pelvic and Reproductive System Symptoms’ In ABC of Medically Unexplained Symptoms. Ed Burton. Wiley-Blackwell 2013 ISBN: 978-1-119-96725-5.
Svingalam V, Wilson J, Horne AW. ‘Novel pain relief agents in endometriosis’ In World Clinics Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Eds Bhattacharya, Arora. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd (in press).
Horne AW, Critchley HOD. ‘Medical Therapies for Pain – Progestins’ In Endometriosis: Science and Practice. Eds Giudice, Evers, Healy. Wiley-Blackwell 2012 ISBN: 978-1-4443-3213-1.
Horne AW, Critchley HOD. ‘Menstrual Disorders’. In Dewhurst’s 8th Edition. Ed Edmonds. Wiley-Blackwell 2012 ISBN: 978-0-470-65457-6.
Horne AW, Ford CM. ‘The normal menstrual cycle’ and Horne AW, ‘Disorders of the menstrual cycle’. In Gynaecology by Ten Teachers, 19th Edition. Hodder Arnold Health Sciences 2011 ISBN: 978-0-340-983-546.
Munro KI, Horne AW, Critchley HOD. Amenorrhoea, oligomenorrhoea and hypogonadal-pituitary function. In Gynaecology, 4th Edition. Eds Shaw, Luesly, Monga. Churchill Livingston 2010 ISBN: 978-0-7020-3120-5.
Maybin J, Horne AW, Critchley HOD. ‘Menstrual Disorders’ and ‘Benign Gynaecological Disorders’. In Training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology; the essential curriculum, 1st Edition. Eds Sarris, Saxena, Bewley. Oxford University Press 2009 ISBN 978-0-19-921847-9.