Telephone: 0131 242 6162 Email: email@example.com Room: C1.03
Please contact my NHS secretary regarding any personal clinical matters – I am afraid that cannot respond to these using my university email or by telephone.
Tel: 0131 242 6988
Tel: 0131 242 2525
- Pelvic pain and endometriosis www.exppectedinburgh.co.uk
- Ectopic pregnancy
Wellbeing of Women (2016-18) £198,864 Novel repurposing of anticancer drugs to treat endometriosis. AW Horne (CI), PTK Saunders, P Fowler, C Becker, D Hapangama, K Zondervan, S Sundar, MC Jones, E Greaves
MRC (2016-18) £302,097 CB2 agonists as a novel treatment for women with endometriosis-associated pain. PTK Saunders (CI), AW Horne, E Greaves
MRC Programme Grant (£1,450,704) 2016-21 “Androgens and women’s health: developing new therapies to treat endometrial disorders” PTK Saunders (CI), AW Horne, HOD Critchley, DA Gibson
Wellcome Trust (£237,55) 2015-18 Clinical Research Training Fellowship [Campbell] AW Horne, N Gray
EME (£999,811) 2016-19 “GEM3: A multi-centre double-blind placebo-controlled randomised trial of a combination of methotrexate and gefitinib versus methotrexate alone as a treatment for ectopic pregnancy” AW Horne (CI), S Tong, WC Duncan, B Mol, S Bhattacharya, J Daniels, A Coomaraswamy, D Jurkovic, T Bourne, C Bottomley, A Peace-Gadsby
EME (£1,208,722) 2015-17 “GaPP2: A randomised controlled trial of the efficacy and mechanism of action of gabapentin for the management of chronic pelvic pain in women” AW Horne (CI), K Vincent, J Daniels, L Middleton, B Collett, G Macfarlane, Y Cheong, A Baranowski, A Williams, J Birch, S Bhattacharya
HTA (£1,962,989) 2015-19 “PRISM: Effectiveness of progesterone to prevent miscarriage in women with early pregnancy bleeding: A placebo-controlled randomised trial” A Coomaraswamy (CI), AW Horne, C Overton, C Bottomley, W Duncan, D Jurkovic,D Feroza, H Harb, J Daniels, J Norman, K Hinshaw, L Middleton, MA Lumsden, N Raine-Fenning, R Farquharson, R Bender-Atik, S Quenby, T Bourne, T Roberts
HTA (£2,487,834) 2013-18 “PRE-EMPT: Preventing Recurrence of Endometriosis by Means of long acting Protestogen Therapy” S Bhattacharya (CI), K Cooper, J Gupta, J Daniels, J Clark, E Denny, E Saridogan, L Middleton, G Jones, AW Horne, C Becker
Key recent publications
Young VJ, Ahmad SF, Brown JK, Duncan WC, Horne AW. ID2 mediates the transforming growth factor-β1-induced Warburg-like effect seen in the peritoneum of women with endometriosis. Mol Hum Reprod. 2016 [Epub ahead of print].
Saraswat L, Ayansina DT, Cooper KG, Bhattacharya S, Miligkos D, Horne AW, Bhattacharya S.Pregnancy outcomes in women with endometriosis: a national record linkage study. BJOG. 2016 [Epub ahead of print].
Lewis SC, Bhattacharya S, Wu O, Vincent K, Jack SA, Critchley HO, Porter MA, Cranley D, Wilson JA, Horne AW.Gabapentin for the Management of Chronic Pelvic Pain in Women (GaPP1): A Pilot Randomised Controlled Trial. PLoS One. 2016 11(4):e0153037.
Young VJ, Ahmad SF, Brown JK, Duncan WC, Horne AW. Peritoneal VEGF-A expression is regulated by TGF-β1 through an ID1 pathway in women with endometriosis. Sci Rep 2015 5:16859.
Greaves E, Temp J, Esnal-Zufiurre A, Mechsner S, Horne AW, Saunders PT. Estradiol Is a Critical Mediator of Macrophage-Nerve Cross Talk in Peritoneal Endometriosis. Am J Pathol. 2015 pii: S0002-9440(15)00270-9.
Tong S, Skubisz MM, Horne AW. Molecular diagnostics and therapeutics for ectopic pregnancy. Mol Hum Reprod. 2015 21(2):126-35.
Greaves E, Grieve K, Horne AW, Saunders PT. Elevated peritoneal expression and estrogen regulation of nociceptive ion channels in endometriosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2014 jc20142282.
Young VJ, Brown JK, Maybin J, Saunders PT, Duncan WC, Horne AW. Transforming growth factor-β induced Warburg-like metabolic reprogramming may underpin the development of peritoneal endometriosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 jc20141026.
Skubisz MM, Horne AW, Johns TG, Nilsson UW, Duncan WC, Wallace EM, Critchley HOD, Tong S. Combination Gefitinib and Methotrexate Compared with Methotrexate Alone to Treat Ectopic Pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2013 122(4):737-44*
*Reactions in the press:
- Dr Furquan Ahmad (post-doctoral scientist)
- Ms Ann Doust (clinical trial coordinator)
- Ms Helen Dewart (clinical research nurse)
- Ms Jennifer Devlin (clinical research nurse)
- Ms Lisa Starrs (clinical research nurse)
- Ms Nicola Watson (clinical research nurse)
- Ms Priscilla Fernandez (clinical research nurse)
- Dr Ibtisam Abokhrais (clinical research fellow and PhD student)
- Dr Lisa Campbell (clinical research fellow and PhD student)
- Dr Wojciech Szubert (clinical research fellow and MD student)
- Ms Sevasti Giakoumelou (PhD Student)
News: Pfizer-SRI President’s Presenter’s Award for Furquan Ahmad
Furquan Ahmad’s abstract “Is Lactate a Potential Therapeutic Target for Endometriosis?” was selected for the Pfizer-SRI President’s Presenter’s Award at the 63rd Annual Scientific SRI Meeting, in Montreal, Canada March 16 – 19, 2016.
University of Edinburgh:
- Hilary Critchley (CRH)
- Colin Duncan (CRH)
- Philippa Saunders (CIR)
- Erin Greaves (CRH)
- Sarah Howie (CIR)
- Gary Entrican (Moredun Research Institute)
- Siladitya Bhattacharya (Aberdeen University)
- Tom Bourne (Imperial College London)
- Katy Vincent (University of Oxford)
- Jane Daniels (University of Birmingham)
- Stephen Tong (University of Monash Melbourne)
- Mohamed Bedaiwy (University of British Columbia)
- Chair of ESHRE Special Interest Group Endometriosis/Endometrium
- Lead of James Lind Alliance Priority Setting Partnership for Endometriosis
- Academic Advisor to RCOG Scottish Committee
- Member of NICE Endometriosis Guideline Group
- Member of ESHRE Endometriosis Guideline Group
- Member of Wellbeing of Women Research Advisory Committee
- Trustee and Medical Advisor to the Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
- Medical Advisor to Endometriosis UK
- Medical Advisor to Pelvic Pain Support Network
- Deputy Editor-in-chief for HROpen
- Member of RCOG Early Pregnancy Clinical Studies Group
- Member of the Blair Bell Committee
Horne AW. ‘Implantation and Early Pregnancy’. In Gynaecology by Ten Teachers, 20th Edition. Hodder Arnold Health Sciences 2016 ISBN: 9781498744249.
Che Bakri NA, Busby-Earle C, Steel R, Horne AW. ‘Pelvic and Reproductive System Symptoms’ In ABC of Medically Unexplained Symptoms. Ed Burton. Wiley-Blackwell 2013 ISBN: 978-1-119-96725-5.
Horne AW, Critchley HOD. ‘Medical Therapies for Pain – Progestins’ In Endometriosis: Science and Practice. Eds Giudice, Evers, Healy. Wiley-Blackwell 2012 ISBN: 978-1-4443-3213-1.
Horne AW, Critchley HOD. ‘Menstrual Disorders’. In Dewhurst’s 8th Edition. Ed Edmonds. Wiley-Blackwell 2012 ISBN: 978-0-470-65457-6.
Horne AW, Ford CM. ‘The normal menstrual cycle’ and Horne AW, ‘Disorders of the menstrual cycle’. In Gynaecology by Ten Teachers, 19th Edition. Hodder Arnold Health Sciences 2011 ISBN: 978-0-340-983-546.
Munro KI, Horne AW, Critchley HOD. Amenorrhoea, oligomenorrhoea and hypogonadal-pituitary function. In Gynaecology, 4th Edition. Eds Shaw, Luesly, Monga. Churchill Livingston 2010 ISBN: 978-0-7020-3120-5.
Maybin J, Horne AW, Critchley HOD. ‘Menstrual Disorders’ and ‘Benign Gynaecological Disorders’. In Training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology; the essential curriculum, 1st Edition. Eds Sarris, Saxena, Bewley. Oxford University Press 2009 ISBN 978-0-19-921847-9.