Clinical senior lecturer in neonatal medicine
Telephone: 0131 242 2567
Dr Boardman’s goal is to develop and evaluate neuroprotective strategies for fetuses and neonates at risk of brain injury and poor neurodevelopmental outcome. He researches the role of neonatal quantitative MR imaging to investigate causal pathways to brain injury, the factors that confer risk or resilience to injury after perinatal adversity, and the relationship between quantitative MR features and long-term functional outcome. He directs the Jennifer Brown Research Group that investigates a mouse model of preterm birth (project lead Girardi), markers of fetal brain compromise (project lead Denison), and neonatal brain MR imaging (Boardman).
2008-10. Boardman JP, Reuckert D, Counsell SJ, Hajnal JV, Walley A, Edwards AD. Advanced MR image analysis to study candidate genes for adverse brain development in preterm infants. NIHR Comprehensive BRC (Hammersmith and St Mary’s). Funding £45,000.
2009-12. Boardman JP, Rueckert D, Counsell SJ. Computational analysis of early human brain growth. The Svider bursary. £100,000.
2011-12. Boardman JP. Advanced magnetic resonance image analysis to study brain development in preterm infants. The Batey Fund (NHS Lothian endowment fund). £11,000.
2012-14. Boardman JP, Denison F, Girardi G. The causes and consequences of perinatal brain injury associated with preterm birth and low birth weight. Core support for the Jennifer Brown Research Laboratory funded by the charity PiggyBankKids (www.piggybankkids.org). £407,000.
2012 – 2013. Norman JE, Reynolds R, Semple S, Bastin M, Roberts N, Denison F, Boardman JP, Walker J, Willshaw D, Studholme C, O’Hare A, Fletcher Watson S, Murray I. In utero MR biomarkers of abnormal brain development – a proof of concept study. Wellcome Trust Institutional Strategic Support Fund. £187,514.
- Shah DK, Wusthoff CJ, Clarke P, Wyatt JS, Ramaiah SM, Dias RJ, Becher JC, Kapellou O, Boardman JP. Electrographic seizures are associated with brain injury in newborns undergoing therapeutic hypothermia. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2014 Jan 17. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2013-305206.
- Ball G, Boardman JP, Arichi T, Merchant N, Rueckert D, Edwards AD, Counsell SJ. Testing the sensitivity of tract-based spatial statistics to simulated treatment effects in preterm neonates. PLoS One. 2013 Jul 3;8(7):e67706.
- Serag A, Aljabar P, Ball G, Counsell SJ, Boardman JP, Rutherford MA, Edwards AD, Hajnal JV, Rueckert D. Construction of a consistent high-definition spatio-temporal atlas of the developing brain using adaptive kernel regression. Neuroimage. 2012 Feb 1;59(3):2255-65.
- Ball G, Boardman JP, Rueckert D, Aljabar P, Arichi T, Merchant N, Gousias IS, Edwards AD, Counsell SJ. The Effect of Preterm Birth on Thalamic and Cortical Development. Cereb Cortex. 2012 May;22(5):1016-24.
- Bassi L, Chew A, Merchant N, Ball G, Ramenghi L, Boardman J, Allsop JM, Doria V, Arichi T, Mosca F, Edwards AD, Cowan FM, Rutherford MA, Counsell SJ. Diffusion tensor imaging in preterm infants with punctate white matter lesions. Pediatr Res. 2011 Jun;69(6):561-6.
- Kuklisova-Murgasova M, Aljabar P, Srinivasan L, Counsell SJ, Doria V, Serag A, Gousias IS, Boardman JP, Rutherford MA, Edwards AD, Hajnal JV, Rueckert D. A dynamic 4D probabilistic atlas of the developing brain. Neuroimage. 2011 Feb 14;54(4):2750-63.
- Ball G, Counsell SJ, Anjari M, Merchant N, Arichi T, Doria V, Rutherford MA, Edwards AD, Rueckert D, Boardman JP. An optimised tract-based spatial statistics protocol for neonates: applications to prematurity and chronic lung disease. Neuroimage. 2010 Oct 15;53(1):94-102.
- Boardman JP, Craven C, Valappil S, Counsell SJ, Dyet LE, Rueckert D, Aljabar P, Rutherford MA, Chew AT, Allsop JM, Cowan F, Edwards AD. A common neonatal image phenotype predicts adverse neurodevelopmental outcome in children born preterm. Neuroimage. 2010 Aug 15;52(2):409-14.
- Merchant N; Groves A; Larkman DJ; Counsell SJ; Thomson MA; Doria V; Groppo M; Arichi T; Foreman S, Herlihy DJ, Hajnal JV, Srinivasan L, Foran A, Rutherford M, Edwards AD, Boardman JP. A patient care system for early 3.0 Tesla magnetic resonance imaging of very low birth weight infants. Early Hum Dev. 2009 85:779-783.
- Counsell SJ; Edwards AD; Chew AT; Anjari M; Dyet LE; Srinivasan L; Boardman JP; Allsop JM; Hajnal JV; Rutherford MA; et al. (Dec 2008). Specific relations between neurodevelopmental abilities and white matter microstructure in children born preterm. Brain. 131:3201-3208.
- Dudink J; Larkman DJ; Kapellou O; Boardman JP; Allsop JM; Cowan FM; Hajnal JV; Edwards AD; Rutherford MA; Counsell SJ. (Nov 2008). High b-value diffusion tensor imaging of the neonatal brain at 3T. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 29:1966-1972.
- Burns CM; Rutherford MA; Boardman JP; Cowan FM. (Jul 2008). Patterns of cerebral injury and neurodevelopmental outcomes after symptomatic neonatal hypoglycemia. Pediatrics. 122:65-74.
- Gousias IS; Rueckert D; Heckemann RA; Dyet LE; Boardman JP; Edwards AD; Hammers A. (01 Apr 2008). Automatic segmentation of brain MRIs of 2-year-olds into 83 regions of interest. NEUROIMAGE. 40:672-684.
- Counsell SJ; Robinson E; Srinivasan L; Dyet LE; Boardman JP; Rutherford MA; Hajnal JV; Edwards AD. (Oct 2007). Differentiated growth of somatosensory and motor thalamocortical units during human brain development assessed using probabilistic magnetic resonance tractography and connectivity based parcellation. ACTA PAEDIATR. 96:11-12.
- Aljabar P; Bhatia KK; Murgasov M; Hajnal JV; Boardman JP; Srinivasan L; Rutherford MA; Dyet LE; Edwards AD; Rueckert D. (01 Jan 2008). Assessment of brain growth in early childhood using deformation-based morphometry. NEUROIMAGE. 39:348-358.
- Krishnan ML; Dyet LE; Boardman JP; Kapellou O; Allsop JM; Cowan F; Edwards AD; Rutherford MA; Counsell SJ. (Sep 2007). Relationship between white matter apparent diffusion coefficients in preterm infants at term-equivalent age and developmental outcome at 2 years. PEDIATRICS. 120:E604-E609.
- Boardman JP; Counsell SJ; Rueckert D; Hajnal JV; Bhatia KK; Srinivasan L; Kapellou O; Aljabar P; Dyet LE; Rutherford MA; et al. (Aug 2007). Early growth in brain volume is preserved in the majority of preterm infants. Ann Neurol. 62:185-192.
- Thomaz CE; Boardman JP; Counsell S; Hill DLG; Hajnal JV; Edwards AD; Rutherford MA; Gillies DF; Rueckert D. (01 Jun 2007). A multivariate statistical analysis of the developing human brain in preterm infants. IMAGE VISION COMPUT. 25:981-994.
- Srinivasan L; Dutta R; Counsell SJ; Allsop JM; Boardman JP; Rutherford MA; Edwards AD. (Apr 2007). Quantification of deep gray matter in preterm infants at term-equivalent age using manual volumetry of 3-tesla magnetic resonance images. Pediatrics. 119:759-765.
- Counsell SJ; Dyet LE; Larkman DJ; Nunes RG; Boardman JP; Allsop JM; Fitzpatrick J; Srinivasan L; Cowan FM; Hajnal JV; et al. (01 Feb 2007). Thalamo-cortical connectivity in children born preterm mapped using probabilistic magnetic resonance tractography. Neuroimage. 34:896-904.
- Kapellou O; Counsell SJ; Kennea N; Dyet L; Saeed N; Stark J; Maalouf E; Duggan P; Ajayi-Obe M; Hajnal J; et al. (Aug 2006). Abnormal cortical development after premature birth shown by altered allometric scaling of brain growth. PLoS Med. 3:e265-e265.
- Boardman JP; Counsell SJ; Rueckert D; Kapellou O; Bhatia KK; Aljabar P; Hajnal J; Allsop JM; Rutherford MA; Edwards AD. (01 Aug 2006). Abnormal deep grey matter development following preterm birth detected using deformation-based morphometry. Neuroimage. 32:70-78.
- Srinivasan L; Allsop J; Counsell SJ; Boardman JP; Edwards AD; Rutherford M. (Mar 2006). Smaller cerebellar volumes in very preterm infants at term-equivalent age are associated with the presence of supratentorial lesions. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 27:573-579.
- Counsell SJ; Shen YJ; Boardman JP; Larkman DJ; Kapellou O; Ward P; Allsop JM; Cowan FM; Hajnal JV; Edwards AD; et al. (Feb 2006). Axial and radial diffusivity in preterm infants who have diffuse white matter changes on magnetic resonance imaging at term-equivalent age. PEDIATRICS. 117:376-386.
- Boardman JP; Ganesan V; Rutherford MA; Saunders DE; Mercuri E; Cowan F. (Feb 2005). Magnetic resonance image correlates of hemiparesis after neonatal and childhood middle cerebral artery stroke. Pediatrics. 115:321-326.
- Rutherford M; Counsell S; Allsop J; Boardman J; Kapellou O; Larkman D; Hajnal J; Edwards D; Cowan F. (Oct 2004). Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in term perinatal brain injury: a comparison with site of lesion and time from birth. Pediatrics. 114:1004-1014.
- Boardman JP; Syrris P; Holder SE; Robertson NJ; Carter N; Lakhoo K. (Sep 2001). A novel mutation in the endothelin B receptor gene in a patient with Shah-Waardenburg syndrome and Down syndrome. J Med Genet 2001 Sep; 38(9): 646-7.
- Leckman JF, Grice DE, Boardman J, Zhang H, Vitale A, Bondi C, Alsobrook J, Peterson BS, Cohen DJ, Rasmussen SA, Goodman WK, McDougle CJ, Pauls DL. Symptoms of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Am J Psych 1997; 154(7): 911-917.
Reviews and commentaries
- Boardman JP, Wusthoff CJ, Cowan FM. Hypoglycaemia and neonatal brain injury.Arch Dis Child Educ Pract Ed. 2012 Oct 19.
- Boardman JP and Edwards AD. Neuroimformatics, Genetics and Preterm Neurodevelopment (Oct 2008). European Paediatrics 2(1):72-75.
- Boardman JP; Dyet LE. (Aug 2007). Recent advances in imaging preterm brain injury. Minerva Pediatr. 59:349-368.
- Counsell SJ; Boardman JP. (Oct 2005). Differential brain growth in the infant born preterm: current knowledge and future developments from brain imaging. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 10:403-410.
- Robertson MM and Boardman JP. Tourette’s syndrome in the year 2000. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 1996; 30(7): 49–759.
Jennifer Brown Research Laboratory, MRC Centre for Reproductive Health
Dr Guillermina Girardi
Dr Mark Bastin
Dr Mandy Drake
Dr Sue Fletcher-Watson
Professor Jane Norman
Professor Anne O’Hare
Professor Neil Roberts
Dr Scott Semple
Dr Graham Wilkinson
Professor Serena Counsell (King’s College London)
Professor David Edwards (King’s College London)
Professor Daniel Rueckert (Imperial College London)
Dr Andrew Walley (Imperial College London)
- 2012 – current: Scientific director of Jennifer Brown Research Laboratory.
- 2011 – current: Paediatric training committee South East Scotland.
- 2010-2012: Chair of Neonatal Quality Improvement Programme, NHS Lothian.
- 2010 – current: Committee member of the Neonatal Society.
- 2012: Expert scientific advisor for Tommy’s ‘Having a Premature Baby’ guide.
- BMC Paediatrics